DailyStandard.Com.Ng | The Authority In News Reporting

…The Authority In News Reporting

What happened to Damilola Taylor’s killers and where are they now?  …as boy’s father Richard Taylor dies aged 75

Damilola Taylor was killed by two brothers, Ricky and Danny Preddie, aged 13 and 12 at the time of the stabbing in November 2000.

The pair were convicted of manslaughter following three trials and were sentenced to eight years in prison in 2007.

Damilola had moved to Britain from Nigeria a few months before he was jabbed in the thigh with a broken beer bottle by a gang of youths as he walked home from the local library after school.

The youngster was found bleeding to death in a stairwell near his home in Peckham, south London, where local workmen tried to save his life.

Damilola Taylor, pictured, was stabbed and left to die in a stairwell in Peckham, south east London in November 2020
Richard Taylor, Damilola’s father recently died aged 75

It took six years and three trials to identify and convict the killers. Danny and Ricky Preddie, members of the Young Peckham Boys gang, were found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to eight years at the trial at the Old Bailey in August 2006.

The eldest brother Ricky, also known as Ricky Johnson, was initially released from prison in September 2011 but has returned to prison several times, including for breaching his parole requirement and handling stolen goods.

He was also jailed in February 2020 having run over a police officer in Wembley, north London. One of the killers of 10-year-old Damilola Taylor has been jailed for four years after driving into a female police officer.

Danny Preddie
Ricky Preddie, also known as Ricky Johnson, pictured, was later jailed for a further four years after admitting trying to run over a female police officer in 2019

Harrow Crown Court heard the killer was driving an Alfa Romeo on November 9, 2019 when he was pulled over by police.

Danny was released from prison early in September 2011 after serving five years of his sentence.

Ricky Preddie was first released in September 2010, but recalled to custody in March 2011 after returning to Peckham from his west London bail hostel in breach of his licence conditions.

Then in October 2011 he beat up another prisoner, but a Parole Board hearing on December 23 decided he should be released on January 25, 2012.

He lasted just 16 days before being taken back to prison for again violating his parole by going to areas he was banned from and visiting friends from his old gang.

He was let out in July 2012, which means he has lasted just five months on early release before being hauled before the authorities again for handling stolen goods.

He was released after serving out every day of his eight-year sentence in 2013.

Although the eight-year jail term was handed down in 2006, he had already served time behind bars on remand.

Following a 2013 court appearance, Ricky Preddie arrogantly held up a sign outside court reading ‘Real Justice for Damiola Taylor’ – misspelling the schoolboy’s name.

The stunt followed an appearance before West London magistrates where he denied a string of driving offences.

Report courtesy: Daily Mail UK



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *