Nigerian Singer Asake is ‘devastated’ and ‘overwhelmed with grief’ as woman, 33, dies in crowd crush at his UK concert
Nigerian artist Asake said he is ‘devastated’ and ‘overwhelmed with grief’ after a woman died following a crowd crush outside his concert at the O2 Academy Brixton.
Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, from Newham, east London, died in hospital this morning after being critically injured in the crush, which unfolded during Asake’s concert on Thursday.
The Metropolitan Police said two other women, aged 21 and 23, remain in a critical condition. Asake has said he is ‘praying’ for those injured.
In a statement posted on Instagram, Asake said: ‘I am devastated by the news that Rebecca Ikumelo who was in a critical condition since Thursday has sadly passed away.
‘My sincerest condolences to her loved ones at this time. Let us please keep her family in our prayers. I have spoken to them and will continue to do so.
‘I am overwhelmed with grief and could never have imagined anything like this happening.
‘My team and I are still awaiting the full debrief back from the Venue management and the Police to determine what exactly led to all the disruption caused and ultimately to Rebecca’s passing.
‘If you have any relevant information relating to this please do reach out to the Metropolitan Police.’
The Met Police said specialist officers are providing support to the family of Rebecca Ikumelo and that a post-mortem examination will be held tomorrow at Greenwich Public Mortuary.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said City Hall is in contact with venues and authorities across the capital to make sure ‘nothing like this happens again’.
‘I am heartbroken by the tragic death of Rebecca Ikumelo who has very sadly died following the awful events on Thursday night in Brixton,’ he said.
‘Rebecca had her whole life ahead of her and on behalf of all Londoners, I would like to extend my condolences to her family, friends and loved ones at this extremely difficult time.’
In a statement outside Brixton police station yesterday afternoon, Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove said an ‘urgent investigation’ was under way into the incident, which occurred when hordes of ticketless fans forced entry into the iconic south London music venue. He said one person had been arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer.
Courtesy: Daily Mail